Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Our little blue car

Ma told me yesterday that Baba has finally decided to sell the car. A man from the garage arrived to take it away. I could not say goodbye to our old, blue, second-hand Maruti 800. I don't have a single photo of it either. It arrived one fine day, ten years ago. Baba had bought it without telling us, from a colleague. The car was in fantastic condition. Dada installed a fine stereo system. We went to Millennium Park to celebrate. Bought jaljeera ice-cream, something Walls had introduced that summer. Some days later, we went to Aquatica, Dada had by then learnt to drive a car. It was a thrilling/scary ride. We rode to Krishnanagar in that car, to Kalyani. I remember reading Harry Potter and listening to Kishore on those long trips. I remember heading towards my tuition classes, scribbling down answers for homework submissions, racing against time. The soft velvety seats. The towel thrown over the driver's seat, the cute soft doll that hung from the rear-view mirror, the eagle whose wings wobbled. Stepping out of the car at Howrah, and stepping into Rajdhani on 25th June, 2011.

Aar konodin reverse'e gelei 'Jingle Bells' shona hobe na. :(

5 comments:

Monidipa said...

We had a little white car exactly the same. Sold off a couple of years ago. :)

Elendil said...

Maybe the car is thinking of you too. :)

WritingsForLife said...

Its so hard to give away things that you have grown up with. Sigh.

Arse Poetica said...

I love you

Brittanie Holderness said...

So how much did your dad sell the car? I hope the stereo worked well, that's one of the car parts I'm very picky with. Maybe you can post some pictures so we can see how your second-hand Maruti 800 looked.

Brittanie Holderness